MSU gallery joins depot welcome center, clock museum, bookstore

Contact: Sammy McDavid

STARKVILLE, Miss.--The newly opened Mississippi State University Welcome Center and Wade Clock Museum at the Cullis Wade Depot are being joined by an art gallery.

Rotating exhibits in the second-floor Depot Gallery will include works by MSU students and faculty, as well as visiting artists. A formal portfolio submission to the art department will be required for display consideration, explained welcome center coordinator Jennifer Glaze.

"We are so very pleased to be able to offer yet another attraction for both Mississippi State visitors and members of the local and area communities," Glaze said. Group viewings of the gallery may be arranged through the welcome center office, she added.

As with the welcome center and Cullis and Gladys Wade Clock Museum, the art gallery's operating hours are 8 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays, as well as two hours prior to kick off for home football games.

The three new west-campus units share the Cullis Wade Depot with the year-old Barnes & Noble at Mississippi State Bookstore. Construction of the railroad-inspired building was made possible by a major gift from its namesake, a 1940 MSU electrical engineering graduate and retired businessman who lives in Bogalusa, La.

The 400-piece clock collection--some dating from the 1700s--also was donated by Wade and his late wife prior to her death several years ago.

For additional information about the welcome center, clock museum and art gallery, contact Glaze at 662-325-2970 or jglaze@saffairs.msstate.edu.

For more information about Mississippi State University, see http://www.msstate.edu/.

Mon, 10/01/2007 - 05:00